The 1st January 2005 saw the introduction of a new building regulation, “Part P”.
Briefly this means that most electrical work carried out in a domestic property must be carried out by a government-approved electrician, such as a NICEIC approved electrician (or NICEIC domestic installer). This step had been taken to reduce the rising numbers of faulty electrical installations.

Under “Part P” building regulations, Homeowners can still replace accessories, such a sockets, although there are now exceptions for areas like kitchens and bathrooms etc.

If, as a homeowner, you fail to comply, you could make it difficult to sell or even insure your property.

In the near future installation certificates are likely to be included in the government’s home sellers packs.

For further information on this building regulation, please visit: http://www.niceic.org.uk/consumers/partp1.html